Thursday, September 6, 2007

Macro Moment

The great thing about macro photography is that your subject matter doesn't always have to be very interesting. You can make interesting shots by the way in which you frame your subject matter. It's about getting closer to something than your normally would. Sometimes it's all about the angle.

Since I started getting photography I wanted a macro lens. When I was in school I couldn't afford one. As I got older, I just had other things that I had to spend money on. Thanks to ebay, I finally got a macro lens. Here's a shot of my Yashica MAT-124 TLR camera with my new Sigma 90mm f2.8 macro lens.


This shot was made with existing light at f2.8 shutter 1/125 with an ISO of 1600. You might notice that the field of focus is very narrow in this shot. That's because of the f-stop of 2.8. A narrower f-stop (or aperture setting) would give a much wider field of focus and would make the foreground and background of the shot sharper. In this, you notice that where the lens says "3.5" that the "3" is the point of focus. The decimal and the "5" are right on the edge of sharp focus.

4 comments:

Paul Murphy said...

This photo is obviously trash. Anyone whose ever picked something better than a point and shoot knows you don't center your subject. That's so 1913. Secondly the foreground is too out of focus. It draws my attention away. Third... ok I like it. You win.

DK said...

Thanks Paul, I love you too.

Goode Design said...

i want you to take pictures of me..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................naked.

LOL...

i miss you DK.

Goode Design said...

hey... i should have you come up and do some shots for one of my clients: a furniture manufacturer...

anywho...
later G